Being vegan and gluten-free doesn’t mean you have to forgo great holiday cookies. Spritz cookies are wonderful European pressed cookies that are usually made with lots of butter. These gluten-free & vegan almond spritz cookies do not use butter, but are still tasty and festive! You can decorate any holiday table or gift plate if you just use a cookie press. Feel free to add sprinkles or frosting, but we love these spritz cookies just the way they are.
Gluten Free & Vegan Almond Spritz Cookies
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 cup Earth Balance or other non-dairy shortening/butter substitute
- 3/4 cup sugar (we used coconut sugar)
- 2 tbsp whipped aquafaba or other egg substitute
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill flour or any other GF baking flour
- 1/2 cup Nora's Kitchen Granola
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
MAKES:4-5 dozen depending on size
- Ground up Nora's Kitchen Granola. Set aside.
- On a low speed mixer (or beat well by hand) combine ingredients 1-4.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until batter has a smooth texture. If dough is soft and tacky, add a couple extra tablespoons of flour until it's cohesive enough to be packed easily into a cookie press tube.
- Form cookies with the cookie press onto un-greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. If desired add sprinkles or other decorations (not frosting) to raw cookies before baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until cookies start to brown at the edges.
- Cool on rack for 10-15 minutes.
Once cookies are cooled you may add frosting if you desire. We recommend trying one first to see if you want the added sweetness. Happy holidays!