Cravings sometimes have a mind of their own. They come on at times that seem quite inconvenient meaning there isn’t something already at home to indulge in or you simply do not have enough ingredients to make anything to curve that wretched hankering. However, this vegan gluten free chocolate cake recipe is similar to a common dessert known as the “Depression Cake”. Depression cake does not require very many ingredients, but it gets the job done when a sweet tooth is involved. Made in the 1930’s when butter, eggs and milk were scarce or too expensive for many families, this recipe was quite popular during the actual depression (hence the name “Depression Cake”). We decided to mix it up and use a little bit of Nora’s Kitchen Granola with some vegan chocolate chips to ensure this recipe was both vegan and gluten-free. This vegan gluten free chocolate cake recipe remains a decadent dessert that rivals it’s more caloric, dairy-based cake anytime.
Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 cup GF flour
- ½ cup NKG flour (finely ground Nora's Kitchen Granola)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup sugar (coconut sugar if you prefer)
- 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup cold water
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Combine ingredients 1 through 5 and sift well. Once sifted, place in mixing bowl.
- Add ingredients 6-10 to the dry mix and stir well. Don’t use an electric mixer. Just beat by hand for a minute or so. Add the chocolate chips and pour into a greased, 8” baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle of the cake.
- To prevent settling after the cake has risen, turn off the oven and crack the door open a couple inches to let the cake cool slowly.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar, raspberry jam and maybe top it off with a little Nora’s Kitchen Granola! Bye-bye sweet tooth. This rich, vegan gluten free chocolate cake recipe is a great addition to whip up for your morning coffee, your next dinner party or a late night snack.